Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Aubrey Rose

It all started on Monday, April 6th at 2 a.m. when my water broke. I had only been sleeping for about an hour when it woke me up. I woke Rob up and told him that I thought my water had broken and a few hours later (after showering and drying my hair of course...) we headed off to the hospital. We must have gotten there around 4 or 4:30 a.m. when I was checked out my a nurse and hooked up to some antibiotics and an I.V. It was my first time getting an I.V. so I wasn't really looking forward to it, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. After a few minutes of waiting, we walked down to my room where I got all hooked up and sat for a while to wait for the Dr. to come in and see what we should do. At this point I wasn't noticing any contractions and I was still only dilated about 3 cm so the doctor decided to start me on pitocin to get things moving. After a few hours of the pitocin my contractions were getting to be a bit painful so I decided to get a dose of nubain to take the edge off of the contractions (it worked! but also made me really loopy feeling) That dose lasted a little over an hour but I wanted to wait and see what I could handle before getting another or having an epidural. Well, around 12:30 or so my contractions were getting worse and I wanted to see how much I had dilated before getting any more pain medication. The doctor came in and checked me and said I was about 3 1/2 centimeters and suggested me getting the epidural because I was progressing so slowly. It took a little while for the anesthesiologist come in and get started and by the time he did start to put the epidural in my contractions were getting really bad. (It didn't help that it took him 3 tries and over 20 minutes to get the epidural in). So at about 1:40 he was finally done and said that my contractions would start to feel less intense...that never happened...they just kept getting worse and I began to feel like this babies head was going to pop out any second. I started to feel like I needed to push and so the nurse went and got a doctor again and when she checked me I was 10 centimeters! So I basically went from 3 1/2 to 10 cm in about 40 minutes. At this point things got a little crazy in the delivery room as they quickly set up and got everyone in the room they needed and I started to push. 40 minutes later, at 2:47 p.m. Rob told me that we had a little girl. I will never forget the look on his face and tears in his eyes when he saw her for the first time and then told me what we had. Rob then cut the umbilical cord and they took Aubrey over to the warmers to check her out and heat her up (she came out looking very blue). They stitched me up and I was soon able to hold my daughter for the first time. She felt so perfect in my arms and was wide awake just looking at Rob and I - I will never forget that moment.
Today Aubrey is 8 days old and I cannot believe how blessed I am to have this sweet girl in my life. She is such a good baby. She eats and sleeps really well and I don't even mind having to get up with her in the night to cuddle her and feed her. I never get tired of looking at her and snuggling with her - she is a great snuggler already! Rob and I are just so in love with her and can't believe that she's actually here and is actually ours.

I'll leave you with some pictures of our sweet Aubrey Rose.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Loved hearing the story and think its hilarious you did your hair before you went to the hospital. Cant wait to meet the little miss sometime. Hope your first few weeks are going well.